The Legend of Dirk Dejong // The Miami Student Magazine
- His colleagues said he "was every bit as good as the best cartoonist in the country," but the name “Tim Kemp” can only be found in a handful of publications.
Cbus Next: Alex Bandar // The Columbus Dispatch
Cowboy boots for Crawford // The Miami Student
- The idea for this short piece came while interviewing the university's new president for an introductory Q and A. When I noticed his interesting choice of footwear, I had to ask.
Columbus's future is up in the air // The Columbus Dispatch
- In some cultures, cranes are a good omen. Want to know what's in store for Columbus's downtown area? Look for the cranes — the mechanical ones.
Literacy group works to eliminate book deserts // The Springfield News-Sun
- Karlos Marshall and Moses Mbeseha hope to eliminate Ohio’s urban “book deserts” and establish “literary oases,” where families of all income levels can access high-quality literature.
Reporting on the Rise // The Miami Student
- When the number of sexual assault reports at Miami doubled, that didn't necessarily mean assaults were more frequent. With a history of underreporting, these numbers are nuanced.
Deportees' kids struggle in Mexican schools // The Columbus Dispatch
- Every weekday, Sarah Gallo went to school in a small town in Mexico. Unlike the rest of the class, she wasn't learning from the teacher. She was learning from the students.
An afternoon in the Oregon // The Miami Student
- This piece serves as a (brief) guided tour through the mix of the seedy and the stylish that is this historic leg of downtown Dayton. It's best when read on a drizzly afternoon.
A letter from the editor // The Miami Student
- This letter appeared in the first issue I edited as EIC of The Miami Student. In it, I made a promise I knew I could keep: to listen, to be open and to always be earnest.
Recipe: Chocolate balsamic glazed carrots // The Miami Student
- Carrots are rarely craved. But with just the tiniest bit of chocolate, they're as snackable as french fries. Part of a Valentine's Food spread on savory ways to cook with chocolate.
Crossword: Semester's news in review // The Miami Student Magazine
- In each semester's volume of The Miami Student Magazine, I created crosswords using the semester's highlights in Miami and Oxford news, culture and sports.